Makes 40 breadsticks or 2 loaves
1 cup instant potato flakes
1 cup water
6 Tbsp. nut or grain milk
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 package dry yeast
2 Tbsp. Sucanat
3/4 cup nut or grain milk (105º – 115º)
5 cups bread flour, divided
1/4 cup vegan margarine, softened
1 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. cider vinegar
1 fake egg*
Cooking spray or oil with brush
1. Combine first 5 ingredients; set aside.
2. Dissolve yeast and sugar in 3/4 cup warm nut or grain milk in a large bowl, and let sugar mixture stand 5 minutes. Add 2 cups flour, potato mixture (first 5 ingredients), margarine, salt, vinegar, and fake egg, and beat mixture at medium speed until smooth. Stir in 1 cup flour to form a sticky dough. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead dough until smooth and elastic (about 10 minutes), and add enough of the remaining flour to prevent dough from sticking to hands.
3. Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray or oil, turning to coat top. Cover dough, and let rise in a warm place (85º), free from drafts, 1 hour or until doubled in bulk.
4. Punch dough down, and divide in half. Working with one portion at a time (cover remaining dough to keep from drying), roll dough into a 10 × 7-inch rectangle. Cut dough crosswise into 20 (7-inch-long) 1/2- inch-wide strips. Gently twist strips of dough. Repeat with remaining dough. Place dough twists 1 inch apart on two baking sheets coated with cooking spray or oil. Cover dough twists, and let rise in a warm place (85º), free from drafts, 30 minutes or until doubled in bulk.
5. Preheat oven to 350º.
6. Uncover breadsticks. Bake breadsticks at 350º for 18 to 20 minutes. If in loaf pans, bake 30 minutes. Remove from pan, and let cool on wire racks.
7. *Fake Egg: Use any of the eggless possibilities. The flaxseed meal or the baking powder/soda both work well.
Return to Shemirah’s Bread Recipes
Return to Shemirah’s Recipes