makes 8 cups
8 cups water
1 tsp. sea salt
4 cups onions, chopped
1/2 cup olive oil (you can also use sunflower, safflower or soy oil)
1/2 cup vegan margarine (such as Earth Balance natural buttery spread)
6 cups (approx. 2/3 of a 14 oz bag) herb-seasoned stuffing (Arnold Premium stuffing is a good one to work with for consistency)
1/4 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. vegan poultry seasoning
1½ tsp. sea salt
1 cup olives or apples, chopped (or you can use 1/2 cup of each instead)
- Bring the 8 cups water to a boil, then add the sea salt.
- Place oil and margarine in small saucepan. Melt over low heat.
- Chop onions.
- Once water has boiled, place onions in, cover, reduce heat, simmer 10 minutes then drain, reserving 2 cups of this onion water to moisten stuffing later.
- Combine stuffing, spices and 1½ tsp. sea salt.
- Add the melted oil and margarine. Mix well.
- Add onions and olives (or olive/apple mixture). Mix until well combined.
- Slowly add reserved onion water, using only as much as you need to moisten it — you want it to be moist, not wet.
- Toss until thoroughly combined.
- Store in an ovenproof casserole dish until ready to serve.
- If you refrigerate it for later use, you can warm this in the oven at 350 for 20-30 minutes before serving.
This goes great with the Tofu’led You Turkey or the Crock Pot Roast!
|Did you know that Poultry Seasoning does not contain ANY poultry or other animal-derived ingredients? Well, it’s true. Here’s a recipe to make your own: 2 Tbsp. EACH dry marjoram, dry savory and dry parsley; 1 Tbsp. dry sage, 1 1/2 tsp. dry thyme. Combine. Makes 1/3 cup. There are also variations on the market which contain rosemary, black pepper and nutmeg. Try a variety including each herb and spice to create your own!|
Return to Shemirah’s Bread Recipes
Return to Shemirah’s Recipes